[texbirds] Bear Creek Park flycatcher and nuthatch pictures from yesterday

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 12:58:29 -0500

I was able to get a couple of definitive pictures of the greater pewee
yesterday at Bear Creek Park.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/146662235

Cropping the picture showed even more details. If I owned photoshop, I
could even add the field marks to the image. The bird did fly off to the
east and called overhead after I went east too. Then flew west and was
heard there by others. Details such as these made in the field help to
confirm the identification of the photograph. But, this is the sort of the
look I expected from this bird having done some long expeditions for them
in the past.

Both this bird and the olive-sided flycatcher cover large areas in short
periods of time and much of the territory can not easily be scanned.

The olive-sided flycatcher was easier. According to the book a lack of
crest can be used to differentiate the 2 pewees. This picture was from way
off and shows the typical head shape as described in the books for one of
the species.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/146662229

Different head pictures show how the un-crest shows in the field
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/146662230

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/146662231

At least this bird fed from the same tree for a considerable period and
came back to it on a couple of occasions later in the day. It did not
always have an apparent crest.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/146662233

And any day that has lots of red-breasted nuthatches tooting away is great
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/146662227

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/146662225

These and a few other park pictures can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston