[texbirds] Baytown Nature Center Bird Count 1/16/14

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, salliesherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tracey.Prothro@xxxxxxxxxxx, Christina.butcher@xxxxxxxxxxx, MaryAlice.Trumble@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jina.Faith@xxxxxxxxxxx, neverbehindu@xxxxxxxxx, chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, d4thman@xxxxxxxxx, mcberk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:24:26 -0500 (EST)

We had six people this morning for the Baytown Nature Center bird  count
on a beautiful cool clear morning. We birded from 8:00 AM to 12:30  PM and
then I taught class until 2:15 PM. After class I was concerned that there  was
one area on the old concrete road off Golden Bloom Trail where I usually
find a lot of sparrows that due to time I had short changed a little. So
after  to class I went back by myself and spent another 20-30 minutes and was
glad I  did. I added 3 more sparrow species to the list with the nicest one
being a  juvenile Harris's Sparrow. I knew we should have been finding them
now and I saw  one other bird that may have been one more but could never get
on it good enough  to make a call.

       64 species  total      12 Gadwall  3 Mallard (Domestic  type)  8
Northern  Pintail  30 Green-winged  Teal  8 Hooded  Merganser  2 Pied-billed
Grebe  6 Neotropic  Cormorant  15 Double-crested  Cormorant  28 American
White  Pelican  9 Brown Pelican  6 Great Blue  Heron  11 Great Egret  5 Snowy
Egret  3 White Ibis  4 Roseate  Spoonbill  5 Black Vulture  3 Turkey Vulture
1 Osprey  2 Red-tailed  Hawk  1 Clapper Rail  29 Killdeer  5 Spotted
Sandpiper  9 Greater  Yellowlegs  5 Lesser  Yellowlegs  22 Least  Sandpiper  1
Wilson's Snipe  150 Laughing Gull  6 Ring-billed  Gull  4 Herring Gull  1
Caspian Tern  35 White-winged  Dove  5 Mourning Dove  1 Great Horned  Owl  5
Belted  Kingfisher  3 Red-bellied  Woodpecker  2 Downy  Woodpecker  1 American
Kestrel  2 Eastern Phoebe  2 Loggerhead  Shrike  4 Blue Jay  7 Carolina Wren
 2 Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher  8 Ruby-crowned  Kinglet  2 Eastern  Bluebird  1
Hermit Thrush  1 American Robin  3 Brown Thrasher  14 Northern  Mockingbird
15 European  Starling  110 Cedar Waxwing  4 Orange-crowned  Warbler  1 Pine
Warbler  45 Yellow-rumped Warbler  (Myrtle)  1 Savannah  Sparrow  3 Swamp
Sparrow  3 White-throated  Sparrow  1 Harris's  Sparrow  10 White-crowned
Sparrow  7 Northern  Cardinal  19 Red-winged  Blackbird  5 Great-tailed
Grackle  30 Brown-headed  Cowbird  2 American  Goldfinch  3 House  Sparrow
1                Tufted Titmouse

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers County