[texbirds] Baytown Nature Center

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 19:40:33 -0500

I guess I have never seen storks feeding. Yesterdy there were 3 juvenile
storks actively feeding. They use the half umbrella technique for shadow
feeding (one wing). I do not believe I have ever seen a Reddish Egret use
the one wing umbrella. Anyway, thought it was neat.

Today I found the follwing individual at about 80 yards

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/Baytown%20Nature%20Center/unkn2_zpse876bf8b.png

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/Baytown%20Nature%20Center/unk5_zps08c1d7c6.png

I think this is a juvenile Vermillion Flycatcher. It would be a little early
for these guys. Any thoughts?

Ray Porter
Highlands, Texas