[texbirds] Baytown NC

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 20:22:27 -0500

A couple of comments.

The Black-necked Stilts which were sitting a nest in Turtle Pond have
hatched 2 chicks. I found them the other day and they looked less  than 3
days old.

The Tree Swallows have been in and out of a nest box again. I am speculating
that this may be a second clutch. Previously I had 2 individuals working a
box and later 3 swallows were seen in the area. I never got a good look at
all three but since that time I have only seen 2 in the area. Today I
watched as the female entered the box and within a few minutes the male
approached, stuck his head in the box, and immediately left. I believe they
may be feeding young.

Ray Porter
Highlands, Tx