[texbirds] Re: Bayside Drive at Laguna Atascosa and Valley birding in the shutdown

  • From: Mary Gustafson <live4birds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 07:26:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I've posted the news release on Laguna Atascosa here
http://rgvbirds.blogspot.com/2013/09/access-changes-at-laguna-atascosa-nwr.html.
  As you can see in the news release, ocelots carrying radio collars are
crossing the Bayside Drive at all hours.  Each refuge has their own mission for
existing, and that's the ocelot for Laguna Atascosa.  The refuge is looking
into alternative long term solutions for public access to the area, but short
term the way to protect the ocelots is to close the road.

We can help Laguna by providing support for reopening of the Bayside area in a
manner that is safe for the ocelots.  I would certainly contact their refuge
friends group to find out how you can support those efforts.  Lots of things
are possible but all require our support to make something happen.
http://www.friendsofsouthtexasrefuges.org/?id%9

With the stare down in Congress coming to a federal furlough, keep in mind that
all federal public sites may be closed until the furlough is resolved.  I've
put a preliminary notice about LRGV sites affected here
http://rgvbirds.blogspot.com/2013/09/possible-federal-shut-down-and-valley.html,
 please let me know offline of corrections and additions.  NWRs, National
Parks, and more will be CLOSED with no access until there is a federal budget.
If in doubt, call ahead.

And expect all federal websites to be taken down, as staff will not be able to
maintain them during the furlough.

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas