[texbirds] Bastrop State Park, Utley

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:18:53 -0500

.
  Oh what a mess I coaxed Graham into today.  What a shiner he got!.  How
much a few fall rains can change everything on a point count transect.
Ha!  Little did I know...  We stormed heavy underbrush. weeds  and fallen
trees and weeds,  sometimes we could not see 20' ahead of us,. Goldenrod,
cottonwood, baccarahis and Roosevelt weed that was taller than we were.  At
very turn another fallen tree to figure out how  to get around...Even with
GPS some points were just beyond access.  Were it not for GPS and the
rising sun I would have had no clue where we were going.  Graham cut an
eyelid and got a real shiner to be proud of, and I busted my butt again as
usual tripping...We spent so much time negotiating weeds, watching the
ground for trip hazards and old burn holes, we did not have much luck on
birds or time to look for them.  I am  grateful he was along, as his
eyesight is keen and I felt more comfortable out there with someone
else...Plus it would have been a mighty long hike back thru that stuff to
the truck with a single vehicle.....Sorry Graham about the eye and I really
had no idea the new growth had been so intense.  The post fire soils must
be very very good.  We were joined a an overly frisky, sweet, but pain in
the butt dog that came from nowhere that scattered everything ahead of us
about half way into the hike to boot making matters even worse, we could
not get it to leave us.  Dewberry brambles everywhere to trip one up...
...Nice day though :-)
  We managed a few things.

Turkey Vultures maybe 250-275 ?  two kettles.
Sharp-shined Hawk 1
Pileated Woodpeckers 2-3 (HO)
Blue-headed Vireo 1
House Wrens ...everywhere
E. Bluebirds everywhere...75-80...Maybe Graham had higher
Nashville Warbler 3
Many Sparrows , most impossible to follow in the tall stuff

Thought we might have heard a Hairy Wood a couple of times but did not list
it

  At the cabin

Turkey Vultures  ~145
Swainson's Hawks 32-33
Cooper's 1
Sandhills  est 312
Hummers ...still 2
White-throated Sparrow 1

No sign of Ovenbird today but have not really looked :-)  I am sure I am
forgetting something.  I am tired :-)

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/