[texbirds] Bastrop SP 10-21

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:58:25 -0500

  A bit of a slow morning on the survey, but I did the least "birdey" area
first, though lots of interesting vegetation.  This was all in live pines,
the strip that runs north and south thru the park that miraculously escaped
most of the fire.
N. Pintails ...2 large V's of birds early southward bound est. around 130
Sapsucker species 1
Y. B. Sapsucker 1
Pileated Wood. 3-4 mostly heard.
A empid species I think was a Least.
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Decent swallow movement before 10A...The vast majority being Barns but a
few Rough-wingeds, Tree , "buffy-rumpeds " no clearly ID'ed Bank but wager
some were up there.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Brown Thrasher 1
G. Catbird 1
Hermit Thrushes 3,  one very gray bird almost like Swainson's
Blk-and-white Warbler 1 (plus the expected winter birds and resident Pines)
Indigo Bunting 4-5 in tall grass
Several sparrow species including 2 White-throateds which I normally do not
see until around Nov. 5-10 and at least 1 Grasshopper Sp..

Still have hummers at the house....Still looking for those cranes...No hawk
movement to speak of

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/