[texbirds] Bastrop, Fayette and Lavaca Co.s (local interest)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 14:09:05 -0600

On the back roads between Utley and Port O'Connor that I have driven for
years, all my long known good duck ponds and small lakes for the first time
on this route,  were all barren with the exception of one small lake with
four Ring-necked Ducks and a tiny woodland pond with six Hooded
Mergansers.....I just don't get it.  Some of these ponds are normally
loaded with dabblers etc.
  What I did find was likely the birdiest road I have yet seen this fall
locally.  Rosanky Rd. which is split between Bastrop and Fayette Co.s
Several sparrow/cardinal like passerine flocks coming off the shoulders of
the road along with large flocks of robins...For some reason the E. Red
Cedars on this road did not perish in 2011 so that may be a factor and
perhaps there is a berry crop on them.   I had a quick look at an accipiter
that flushed a flock of well over 100 robins but not determine species.
Also a Red-shafted Flicker.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/