[texbirds] Bastrop Co.(local)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:42:58 -0500

  Had to drag myself out this morning but did, fed the birds and drove over
to Bastrop SP .but scuttled what I had planned to do when I discovered I
forgot my wallet and GPS  So just did some regular Folger's type birding.
  Was the first day in weeks that I did not encounter a single empid though
did have quite a few Eastern Kingbirds.  Saw a string of Broad-wings ,
maybe 55- 60 birds and had a Merlin darting southward.  Colorado River
Refuge south of Bastrop was good and the birdiest area I visited today.
Fair number of warblers of several species with perhaps the most Mourning
types I have seen this year...Some warblers and migrants were way up in
impossibly high trees and so I let those kind of slide.  I only walked
about a half mile of the trails, the river had both Green and Belted
Kingfishers, Yellow and Black-crowned Night-Herons, Wood Ducks and other
waders...Swallows included some Trees.
  On the home front zero hummers except for a single Rufous that now
doesn't even come to the feeders .  Heck he doesn't have to anymore as
there is no one left to chase so he is just using the salvia and Turk's
Caps I have been struggling to keep alive and blooming.  Man the whole
atmosphere of the yard changes when the hummers are gone...The dire and
bone-cracking cold days of winter are nigh upon us :-)
  I was up early enough for the Whip-poor-will(s) but did not hear it or
any other.

  I guess if I had to choose the "best" bird of the day it would be the
Merlin or a N. Waterthrush just Mr Screech Owl crooning..

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas