[texbirds] Bastrop Co. STKI, Tree Swallow, first peeps etc.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 12:20:07 -0500

  I sure burned some gas today.  Beautiful morning with an opportunity to
get out.   Adding to the previous post on the Swallow-tailed...I only saw
the one, it was flying within sight for 8-10 minutes before heading out of
sight toward Hill's Prairie....Sooo even though Hill's Prairie is just
across the river one has to drive 15 miles to get to it from the Tahitian
Village view point.  I did so as fast as I could as I am convinced the
kites are over in that area somewhere...I made several stops on Hill's
Prairie Road (6 miles S of 71 off Hwy 304) then Kaufman Rd. but failed to
refind the kite(s)  However there was an adult Swainson's Hawk which was
curious to me as Rich Kosteke and I had one here near the house in Utley
Sunday morning.
On Kaufman Rd. I had a singing oriole at the far north end of the paved
portion that sounded so strange...I am sure it was an Orchard but I guess I
have never heard one sing in such a manner and could not make it into any
of our other Texas oriole breeders....I never saw it as it was in the big
pecan orchard across the fence.   Another surprise was a singing Bewick's
Wren....These are rare summer residents in this region of the county and
for the most part, the county as a whole.

  Anyway I dipped on a HP STKI and left and driving back decided to bite
the bullet and drive to Shipp Lake.  No Wood Storks or other notable waders
but was happy to see a single Tree Swallow (rare in county outside of
migration), a Black-necked Stilt and 3 small Calidrids as flyovers.  In the
willows were a number of Black-crowned Night-Herons day roosting.

Drove Park Rd. 1C on my return and stooped a few locations on Alum Creek.
By now the cicadas were howling so it was hard in places to hear but did
have La. Waterthrush, Hooded Warbler and N. Parula.

  Further toward Bastrop SP there was an adult Pileated Woodpecker with 2
fledged young.  I did not keep a day list as I was making tracks.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/