[texbirds] Bastrop Co. Migrants...Swainson's Warbler, Upland Sandpiper

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 09:21:03 -0500

  I spent about 2.5-3 hours out and about Utley this morning and had some
good luck with a few birds.   I was out on my road around 5:30 and already
before it was even light, I could hear martins overhead...If they are from
the Austin roost I have to wonder what time they left the roost to travel
that 30 miles or so.

 There were two best birds of the morning, The first was an returning
Upland Sandpiper on a neighbor's property...I usually do not have them for
2-3 weeks there..

  The second was a heard only loud Swainson's Warbler still singing it's
"Pooh-Pooh Step-in the Pooh" song!  Even when they were more common in the
county, I don't know that I have ever heard one singing like that in July,
They are usually heading back south by about now with the local population
usually gone or gone silent  by the 10-12th.  That bird really made my day.

  A flock of 6-7 Orchard Orioles were for sure headed south, and I heard
Couch's Kingbird(s) on the same property as the Upland Sandpiper.

  Last night ( and in part this AM) there Chuck-wills, Barred and Screech
Owls all calling here and over the past few days have noticed there are an
increasing number of waders coming up from the coastal plain, including a
lone Wood Stork south of Elgin yesterday.

  BTW  There is a Red-necked Stint in Kansas, so I figure it will have to
make its way thru here.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist