[texbirds] Barred Owls in Nueces County

  • From: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:19:48 +0000

This morning at about 5:45, with a brilliant waning moon overhead, two Barred
Owls were carrying on a conversation in a tree right outside my bedroom window!

I went out the front door and heard the last grumblings of one bird (guess he
lost the argument) before they fell silent.  Karen Smith, are you missing a
couple of birds?

Also, on Sunday afternoon I went to Swantner Park on Corpus Christi Bay and
observed the Bar-tailed Godwit, very much at home among his/her larger cousins.
 They were foraging in the grass for the longest time and I could almost reach
out and pet them on the heads.  Then up they flew, circled back and landed in a
puddle where most of them promptly fell asleep.  Others, including the visitor
from the outer limits, took sponge baths.

Judy Kestner
Calallen (NW Corpus Christi)