[texbirds] Re: Barn Swallows

  • From: Ian Layton <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:12:47 -0500

I have had Barn Swallows nesting on both my front porch and back patio
for the past four years. After noticing what seemed like a more than
expected number of broods being fledged in both locations last year, I
have been monitoring them a bit more carefully.
So far this year both adult pairs have successfully fledged two broods
each (3x4 and 1x5). Yesterday I witnessed the first casualty of the year
that I am aware of. A feral cat that lives in the large wooded area
behind my house caught and ate one of the fledgling that was perched on
the deck railing.
It is quite a sight to see all the BARS perched along the guttering of
the garage roof in what we refer to as "Barn Swallow flight school".
If last year is anything to go on, I expect to see several more broods
hatched over the remaining summer months.

--
Ian Layton
Cedar Creek. TX