[texbirds] Barn Swallow fledging

  • From: Ian Layton <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:18:46 -0500

We have been "hosting" Barn Swallows on both our front and back porches
for the last four years (started a year after we built). We have had
from 1-4 pairs each year. Last year it seemed to me that they nested
very early and had multiple broods, and so I decided to pay more
attention (especially now I work from home).
We have two pairs nesting (one front; one back). The brood from the
front porch fledged this week, with the rear being a week or so behind.
I have read several posts in the last week with people reporting BARS
nest-building. So my question comes down to whether  April 28th is very
early for BARS to be fledging in Central Texas?

--
Ian Layton
Cedar Creek. TX