[texbirds] Re: Barn Swallow Colony in Houston

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Liz Compton' <lizcompton77@xxxxxxxxx>, 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:55:02 +0000

Liz,

All of the local birds are long gone. I think the best bet would be to release
it in or near a Cave Swallow colony. That way it could acclimate for a few days
and then hopefully its migration drive will kick in and it will go with the
next wave of northern barn swallow migrants. The trick is finding one that is
not at an overpass so the newly fledged bird does not have to deal with that
danger initially.

I have copied the list so hopefully someone will respond to you privately and
see if they know a good place.  If you don't get a response right away, e-mail
me a message and I will see if a couple of small colonies are still at their
culverts.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center