[texbirds] Balmorhea Lake - 31 August

  • From: Mark Lockwood <Mark.Lockwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx' (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 21:54:57 +0000

Doug Booher,  Amy Bishop,  and I visited Balmorhea Lake, Reeves County, today.
The highlights included a Sabine's Gull and an adult Red-necked Phalarope.  The
phalarope was very pale, but is probably within the normal range of variation
for adults.

Western Grebe - 6+
Clark’s Grebe – 50+
Reddish Egret – 1 (juv.)
American Avocet – 3
Greater Yellowlegs – 12
Spotted Sandpiper – 2
Marbled Godwit - 1
Long-billed Curlew - 5
Western Sandpiper – 8
Least Sandpiper – 10
Wilson’s Phalarope – 12
Red-necked Phalarope - 1
Sabine's Gull - 1
Black Tern – 10
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 7

I put images of the gull and phalarope on my Flickr page
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/70194759@N05/).  They were taken midday and are
not great, particularly the phalarope.

Mark

Mark Lockwood