[texbirds] Backyard Juncos; my FOS Hummer, Cedar Park

  • From: "Sally Breed" <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gandolf36002@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:02:37 +0000 (UTC)

  Today 3 Dark-eyed Juncos are still coming to my backyard, this isdown from
10 earlier this month and the last few months, they followed theChipping
Sparrows to the seed I throw on the ground.  My FOS Black-chinned Hummingbird
came to the blossomson my patio citrus.  I was really excitedbecause it was so
close to me. I only have 12 Lesser Goldfinches, down from 42earlier this month
and only an occasional female Am. Goldfinch, no males (Ihave 60 perches for
them and 2 types of seed). I am just starting my second year in this house and
I had Juncos lastyear, late fall through about March, and the same this year.
I also had Lesser Goldfinches the entireyear, though they dropped to 2 pairs in
April, but they had 2 sets each of chicksin May. I have 9 very tall
Hackberries, 1 very tall Chinese Tallow, a verydense wildlife area at the back
of the yard filled with lots of tall snags,Juniper, old vines, and other fun
places for the possums, raccoons, cotton tailrabbits, deer, and coyotes.
Since mypoor old joints won’t allow me to go on bird watching hikes, it is
fun toencourage the wildlife to come to my yard and enjoy them
here.SallyBreedTravisAudubon memberCedarPark, Tx and Hwy 183(justoutside of
Austin, Tx)