[texbirds] BBS Humor/Frustration

  • From: D D Currie <ddbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 19:43:02 -0500

Dell and I took on a new BBS route.....location to remain unidentified to
protect the innocent. We decided to scout the route today (in a torrential
downpour) so we can be ready to do it in 2 weeks. The route started in 1968
and has been done pretty consistently, so I was thinking the stops would be
pretty well defined.
Well.....5 hours later and numerous episodes of backtracking including
completely returning to stop 6 and rerunning a number of confusing stops
multiple times, we finally identified all the stops.

My favorite stop descriptions included 4 stops that included dogs being
present (remember, this route started in 1968)....."past curve with dogs in
curve"; "dogs before corner"; "past house with dogs"; "dogs on left at
turn". This route is heavily wooded, so other challenging stop
descriptions included those that used various types of vegetation such as
"pine trees in view"; "ridge of trees on left"; "past trees on
right"; ....and my favorite "before woods, crepe myrtle and telephone pole
on left". Needless to say, it was not a crepe myrtle, but a wild climbing
rose by the telephone pole.

Thankfully, the "rusted white fence", the "old empty house", the "blue
water tower" and the "blue house" were still there, as well as various key
telephone poles.

Despite all this, it looks like a very interesting route. We're looking
forward to seeing some interesting birds and those 40+ year old dogs......

D. D. Currie
Arlington, TX