[texbirds] AviSys Tips and Tricks for use in Texas Century Club website

  • From: "Lamont Brown" <lamont@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 15:38:33 -0500

Last night I started what hopefully will be a repository for Tips and Tricks
[or shortcuts] for using data from AviSys (Birding Software) on the Texas
Century Club (TXCC) website  Let me say I have no personal or financial
interest in this software, although I am a full-price paying user.

There may be birders who keep data in AviSys who will find it easier to
create records and useable files for Century Club personal pages as opposed
to using eBird data.  The tips should help all of us know better how to use
the records and CSV files that can be generated by the software.  If you
have a tip or shortcut not in the software instructions, please share it.

The first tip I listed last night is a simple one as to how to have county
listings alphabetized by TOS Regions.  It is easy to do and provides the
opportunity for Regional Ticks quickly.  Recently I asked Jerry Blinn, the
owner of the software to create an .exe (executable) file for converting our
current county totals into CSV format.  This will enable the data to be
imported into a spreadsheet and then used in various ways.  I have Beta
tested the .exe file and will have it and instructions for its use on the
Century Club website in a few days.  There is no cost for the .exe file.

My TXCC personal page has data inputs from all 254 counties, plus ticks for
all eight TOS Regions.  After entering my last sighting for a trip, I can
update all 254 counties on the Century Club personal page in less than 4
minutes.

If you use a birding software other than AviSys, you may still want to
review these Tips and Tricks periodically as some likely are applicable with
any birding software

Last, do know that Dell Little, David Sarkowzi and I, along with others whom
I may not know, have written instructions for using many techniques on the
Century Club website.  This includes topics such as editing basics, using
Google maps, using Widgets and Gadgets, extracting data from eBird and many
others.  Most of the instruction pages are listed at the bottom of the Main
Page.  There is also a link there for All Instructions.

So, if you have not created your own Texas Century Club personal page or
started adding your data there, wait no longer.  There are plenty of tips to
help you get started as well as navigate and create pages on the Century
Club website.

Go to:  http://texascenturyclub.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Lamont Brown
Denton and Harlingen