[texbirds] Austin birding yesterday

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 10:06:08 -0500

Howdy,
Went birding yesterday in Austin before, in-between, and after some jobs.
Before work I stopped by Commons Ford for an hour. Heard the Yellow-throated
Warbler but did not see it. Ran into a flock of migrants along the east side of
the creek in what appeared to be a mulberry. Highlights included female Canada
Warbler, a singing male Mourning Warbler, Swainson’s Thrush, Gray Catbird, and
a female grosbeak which I failed to identify due to bad looks and ignorance of
female grosbeak identification on my part.
Stopped at Lakeway City Park for twenty minutes. Was really great to stand on
top of the cliff and look down over the creek and watch birds from above.
Really good looks at martins and an Orchard Oriole flying by. Highlight was
definitely a pair of Rock Wrens carrying nesting material around the scree.
Never found the nest.
After work dropped by Windy Point in the heat. Sole highlights were 3
Yellow-headed Blackbirds and 3 alternate Eared Grebes.

Good birding,

Christian Walker

Begin forwarded message:

From: ebird-checklist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: eBird Report - Commons Ford Pk, May 14, 2015
Date: May 15, 2015 at 9:59:01 AM CDT
To: christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Commons Ford Pk, Travis, US-TX
May 14, 2015 7:45 AM - 8:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.6 mile(s)
Comments: Overcast, calm, muggy, around 75 degrees F. Also had a female
grosbeak but could not identify.
40 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck 2
Northern Bobwhite 2 HO from up the hill
Spotted Sandpiper 1
White-winged Dove 4
Mourning Dove 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Chimney Swift 1
Belted Kingfisher 1 HO
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 2
White-eyed Vireo 1 HO
Red-eyed Vireo 5
Barn Swallow 2
Cliff Swallow 2
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted x Black-crested Titmouse (hybrid) 1
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Eastern Bluebird 5
Swainson's Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1 HO
Mourning Warbler 1 Sining. Nice to hear the song.
American Redstart 1
Northern Parula 4 HO
Yellow Warbler 3
Yellow-throated Warbler 1 HO. continuing bird
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Canada Warbler 1 Nice looks at a female.
Field Sparrow 1 HO from up the hill
Summer Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 10
Indigo Bunting 1 HO