[texbirds] Austin Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in an odd place

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:22:08 -0500

Hi Texbirds,

Driving home a few minutes ago I was sitting at the traffic light at the
intersection of Deer and Brodie Lanes.  As is my habit, I take advantage of
the long wait for the red light to scan the small pond next to Deer Lane for
birds.  The pond is only about 20'X 30', and with no vegetation at all and
not much water, it is more of a mud puddle than a pond.  Once in a while I
will see a Killdeer there, but this time I had a surprise.  There was a
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron striding around the shallow pond.  I can't
imagine he would stay out in the open like that for the night.  Perhaps he
was mining it for frogs and after he gets his fill he will take off for a
better spot for the night.

What an odd sight!

Lori Markoff
Austin, near Brodie and Slaughter Lanes