[texbirds] Austin Purple Martin viewing this weekend - this is your engraved invitation

  • From: Laurie Foss <lauriefoss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:41:49 -0500

Texbirders,
If you are near Austin I invite you to join Shelia Hargis and myself at the
Highland Mall parking lot across from the Wells Fargo Bank to watch our
spectacular Purple Martin roost in action! Local biologist Jake McCumber
has studied the roost as well as local radar images, morning flights and
other factors to estimate this year's roost has over 600,000 birds! And the
number is still climbing. We'll have a poster with us showing his
estimating method. We'll also have some info available about Travis Audubon
and about Purple Martins.
Shelia and I will be at the roost tonight and Saturday as well as next
weekend, July 27th and 28th, by about 7:30 and the birds drop into the
roost around dusk. If you are planning to come, be sure to wear clothes
that can stand a little white-washing, and a hat is recommended!
Last weekend we had around 50 people who showed up, wandered by, noticed us
and stopped in, etc. The more the merrier!

Laurie Foss
Austin
www.jbjourneys.com
Adventure Travel to