[texbirds] Austin Purple Martin Roost Exodus on 7/26/14

  • From: Shelia Hargis <shelia.hargis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:10:56 -0500

Laurie Foss and I have watched the Purple Martins come in to roost in
Austin many times, but I've only witnessed their exodus from the roost
once. That was last year. Not wanting to draw many conclusions from only
one data point, we visited the roost site on Saturday morning. This was
after leaving the roost site on Friday night around 9:45p or so. Oh no,
we're not addicted to the roost phenomenon!

I'm glad we went. It was a different experience from my experience last
year. The exodus happened much quicker this year and seemed to include more
streaming from the roost, similar to how the bats exit the Ann Richards
bridge in downtown Austin. I'm not sure what contributed to the difference
this year - maybe the drought last year played a part or maybe the
different roost location played a part. Two data points are better than one
but still not enough to draw many conclusions. I guess we'll have to go
back or maybe others can go and report their experiences!

Below are my shorthand notes from the morning.

Shelia Hargis

Austin, Texas

Purple Martin Roost, Airport Blvd & Highland Mall Blvd

July 26, 2014

5:30a: Jack in the Box open. Bird movement within trees. Some birds on the
wire running diagonally across the parking lot toward Jack in the Box. A
few flying eastward and in the sky overhead, chattering.

5:38a: Small groups moving between trees or flying eastward. Most birds
leaving from trees under light. Some coming back in from east.

5:42a: One cat walking away. All birds in the air appear to be flying low.

5:50a: More birds flying around, coming and going. Some circling Jack in
the Box. Numerous birds in trees stretching, fluttering and preening.

5:55a: Another cat walking south toward Jack in the Box. Many birds flying
around. Most still in trees but constant stream of birds leaving trees.

6:05a: A steady trickle of birds leaving trees. Most appear to be heading
east but we couldn’t see other directions. Most appear to be leaving, not
circling back.

6:08a: One bird down in the parking lot near Jack in the Box drive-through.
Rescued but died shortly afterwards. Bird had small amount of blood near
nostril. Many birds on numerous wires.

6:11a: Bigger groups leaving. Some streaming, some circling. Approximately
½ of the tree under the light that was covered with birds is now empty.

6:17a: Exodus continues and many birds still on wires.

6:19a: Serious exodus now with many birds swirling overhead.

6:20a: Dawn.

6:25a: Serious exodus continues with many birds swirling overhead. Only
about 1/8 of the tree under the light that was covered with birds still
holds birds.

6:27a: Many birds take flight from trees along sidewalk as a pedestrian
walks by on the sidewalk. No birds left in the northern-most tree in Jack
in the Box parking lot. Many birds still on wires. Others taking flight and
many swirling overhead.

6:31a: Most of the birds swirling overhead have now left.

6:35a: Fewer birds leaving. Many on wires preening. Those left in trees are
mainly just in the top of the trees.

6:44a: Big exodus of birds when a delivery truck left parking lot but some
returned to trees.

6:46a: Sunrise.

6:49a: No birds in trees in Jack in the Box parking lot. Very few in main
trees (near unoccupied building). Some on wires. None in sky overhead.
Pedestrian walking through parking lot did not disturb birds.

6:53a: Numerous birds took flight when a runner ran along sidewalk.

6:54a: Most birds in trees took flight for unknown reason. Still some on
wires.

7:01a: Only birds on wires now, approximately half of all birds are full
adult males.

7:12a: No change from 7:01a.

7:20a: No change from 7:01a. Approximately 700 birds on wires. No dead
birds observed during cursory walk through parking lot.

7:23a: Birds took flight when pedestrian walked by but then resettled on
wires.

7:25a: As we were leaving, one dead bird found in parking lot behind Jack
in the Box near dumpster. Both dead birds to be sent to Texas A&M’s
Biodiversity Research and Teaching Collections.