[texbirds] Austin Migrants: Blackpoll Warbler, Gray-cheeked Thrush, etc.

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 21:45:06 -0500

I took the SAT this morning, so birding today didnt start until 12:30ish.
Still didnt stop the great day. A few minutes after i got out of the
testing room, Arman Moreno texted me saying he found a male Blackpoll
Warbler at Richard Moya Park (SE Travis Co.)
I drove like a maniac to get there, and we refound the bird after about 5
minutes of looking around the East corner of the park, which was by far the
most active area.
Arman's pictures are exponentially better, but here are my meager shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8708056381/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8709180058/in/photostream/
Other warblers were the expected, but gorgeous, birds: Am. Redstart,
Chestnut-sided, Blackburnian, Black-throated Green, Nashville, Tennessee,
Yellow, Wilson's, and Black-and-white.
While walking through the rest of the park, which was comparatively dead
except for a few Orchard orioles and one Baltimore and a scattering of
Yellow Warblers and Redstarts, We heard a Myiarchus flycatcher that I was
pretty sure was a Brown-crested Flycatcher, which have been seen in
May-June at Richard Moya for the past two years. We played the tape, and
the bird instantly came in, and called some more and gave us good looks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8709179750/in/photostream/

Arman and I then headed over to West Bouldin Greenbelt, which was not as
active but we still managed to pull out 6 warbler species (Common
Yellowthroat only different warbler from Richard Moya). There was also a
female Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the mulberries along the creek. The
definite highlight, however was a Gray-cheeked Thrush that was foraging
along the edge of the creek bed. It flew back into a ragweed thicket, and
we went after it where it flushed up onto a branch. Arman, once again, has
much better photos than my grainy super soft focused shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8708056303/in/photostream/

We then headed to Laguna Gloria, but it was closed due to a wedding. We
tried Shoal Creek and the Capitol Grounds, but they didnt turn up much of
note (Orange-crowned Warbler at SC, Least Flycatcher at both places)

Good birding,
Sam Fason, Austin

[image: Minimize][image: Pop-out][image: Close]