[texbirds] Austin Festival Shores (Lady Bird Lake)

  • From: Jake McCumber <jake_mccumber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:48:26 -0700 (PDT)

This morning I had some work at Festival Beach on Lady Bird Lake,
fortuitously.  I had a few observations of note.

For one, the powerlines were jammed with Purple Martins - I roughly counted
930, but am certain there were more.  They were constantly foraging about in
the air, too, particularly over the lagoon by the boat ramp.

The other notable birds were also observed at the boat ramp.  The first was a
vocalizing and well seen Couch's Kingbird.  After giving me a chance to study
the bird took off to the south and had a bit of an altercation with a Western
Kingbird over the middle of the lake before they both headed to the south shore
(apart).  I also saw a single Black-crowned Night-Heron fly over.

Festival Beach is the park space on the north shore of the lake and on the east
side of I-35.

Cheers,
Jake McCumber
Austin