[texbirds] Re: Austin Area RBA

  • From: "gil.eckrich" <gil.eckrich@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <kennya290@xxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 16:23:02 -0600

Regarding the 1st Winter Thayer's Gull, I spotted the bird at about 10:00,
Thursday morning, near the western fence of the Fort Hood Belton Lake
Outdoor Recreation Area (BLORA), and photographed it from vehicle window
while telling a fellow birder about the 'Herring Gull'. Later that day I
downloaded the images and sent a couple to one of our best local birders. He
quickly recognized it as a likely Thayer's, and forwarded the pics to other
birders knowledgeable in gulls. Consensus was for Thayer's.           I
birded the same area on Friday morning with another birder, all to no avail
- no sign of any gull other than Bonnies or Ring-billed.

Gil Eckrich
Belton