[texbirds] Austin Area RBA

  • From: Kenny Anderson <kennya290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 22:22:11 -0500

The Austin area Rare Bird Alert is a service of the Travis Audubon Society.
This update is as of 10:00 on October 3, 2013. Send interesting sightings-
complete with species name, LOCATION, and contact information- to Kenny
Anderson at kennya290@gmail <kennya290@xxxxxxxxx>
September 21 was a terrific day to be birding, I didn't realize at the time
that it was Fall migration.  By that I say, blink and you missed it.
 Central Texas can get locked in to weather patterns that make birding
rather dull, and we are in one now.  Woodlots have been hammer-dead,
Hornsby's full to the brim, few reports are out there, is this computer
working?

-Rarities Found This Week-

A Zone-tailed Hawk was observed at 360 and 183 in north Austin on 10/3 in
Travis County.

A Canada Goose was photographed at Jimmy Clay Golf Course; hard to say
whether it is wild.  Few Canada Geese are ever reported in the circle.

2 Virginia Rails continued at Crystal Lake in Bastrop County on 10/1.

A Yellow-throated Vireo was photographed at an Austin home on 9/30- tough
bird at this time of year.

2 Peregrine Falcons were observed on the UT Tower, one of the birds appears
to be a shaheen falcon that over-summered at the location.  Last
observation 10/3.

2 Bronzed Cowbirds were seen at the Long Center (Formerly Palmer
Auditorium) in Austin on 10/2.

Vermilion Flycatchers: 1 at Walter E. Long/Decker Lake in Travis County
ontyn 10/3, and 1 at Berry Springs in Williamson County on 10/2.

A Franklin's Gull was at Granger Lake on 9/30.

Reports for the Austin area RBA cover a 60 mile radius, centered from the
Capitol in downtown Austin. Bird sightings mentioned here have been
filtered and scrutinized by the compiler and are believed to be genuine.
When documentation or photographs were provided that is mentioned, along
with the other information about the bird(s) being seen.  For questions or
updates about birds mentioned here or to report rare or unusual bird
sightings in the Austin area, please send an e-mail to kennya290@xxxxxxxxx

Kenny Anderson

Austin