[texbirds] Audubons, Orchard or Fuertes's Oriole

  • From: "Carlton Collier" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "sprtwalkr@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 16:24:14 -0400 (EDT)

ry oriole found in Hooks Woods this spring.? I saw and heard the bird but blew
it off as a strange Orchard because of the vocalization.? I was browsing
through some rarities in the past for Texas and came across this observation in
1894.? What are the possibilities that it could be even something more unique?
?In "The Field Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Central America" by Howell and
Webb the Fuertes's is a subspecies of the Orchard found along the Caribbean
coast in Mexico.? However, in "The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World" it
is treated as a separate species.? Anyway, I thought that I would share this
tidbit of information for discussion and possible extraordinary find for the
Gulf Coast.? I am sure that there are some good photos of that bird floating
around.?
      http://www.texasbirds.org/tbrc/Fuertesoriole.htm

         Carlton Collier
       Kenefick, Texas