[texbirds] Attwater pictures, dickcissel, cassin's sparrow and white-rumped sandpiper

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:07:17 -0500

Only got pictures of 3 species in several hours birding the depauperate
avifauna of the refuge. However, many of the birds were too close to
photograph and gave lots of opportunity to watch.
The the old railroad bed along the entrance road has been removed and
smoothed with a few puddles remaining that had a flock of white-rumped
sandpipers that grew to 10 birds by the time that I left.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279571

The were eating earthworms and smaller creatures pulled out of the mud
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279572

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279569

Captured worms had to be shook
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279573

And smooshed so that they did not wiggle while being eaten
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279574

A couple of the sandpipers were in non-breeding plumage, something I see
very little or possible never that I can remember. This is the only shot I
had with both plumages together
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279576

The fall migration when most would look like this is offshore of the east
coast like golden plover so they are really rare here then
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279575

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279577

There was a slow molter among them too
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279580

Early on, dickcissels were singing all over the place
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279594

But quieted down as it go hotter and windier
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279593

All sang the normal dialect except for one bird that more or less buzzed a
call
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279586

From the back, they can look very much like house sparrows if you do not
see the head pattern which is muted on youngsters and females
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279592

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279593

This is the mated and nesting male cassin's sparrow who wanted to rule the
roost. A little too close to get both the bill and tail in focus at the
same time
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279632

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279633

It ranged further than the other singing birds and when another group of
two landed in the road, it flew up close to them, wing-fluttered and
twittered until they headed back into cover
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279636

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279637

Fence posts made great singing perches
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279628

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279631

But also twittered when the female came out
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279627

The back pattern can look a little like a grasshopper sparrow but with less
colors
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279622

Lots more pictures of the 3 can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/150279622

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston