[texbirds] Attwater PC NWR & Huntsville SP

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:14:12 -0500

Hi, all!

Found the exit for the north end of the experimental okay (something like
Bernardo Road), and Joe Kennedy had written me the night before to advise me
to start at the dead end of PC Road. I hadn't scouted that part of the road
the day before, and when it started growing stuff in the middle I got a
little apprehensive and turned the car around at that point, but that's
where I decided to start the survey, and I was amazed at the traffic noise;
had I started where I had planned to start it woulda been really bad! It
was fun hearing the Sedge Wrens singing away, but there must have been at
least one Mockingbird at every stop (and the whole route was just over 22
miles); I thought for sure EBird would flag that one! There were plenty of
Bobwhites awakening the dawn, but didn't hear any Prairie Chickens at that
end. So once dawn hit (and it was a lovely sunrise; you could see a
thunderstorm going on to the east) I started the BBS Protocol and had a
blast! Before I even finished PC Road a flock of Cattle Egrets flew by
(with a token Snowy)!

From PC Road I followed Cat Spring Road (heading north to Huntsville later I
saw that there really was a little town called Cat Spring), and a good
portion of that road is paved. Lots of Common Grackles flew over hear the
homesteads, and several different flocks of Upland Sandpipers wheeled into
the various fields! Lots of Caracaras were about, and a young White-tailed
Hawk finally showed up! The Krider's hawk was still around (along with a
normal-looking adult), and several stops yielded several sparrows:
Whitecrowns would pop up quickly to pishing, as would Lincoln's and a single
Savannah. There are a couple of wooded creek crossings that only yielded a
Yellowthroat and Carolina Wren, but picked up a new trip bird at a couple of
spots with trees: Red-bellied Woodpecker!

But the jackpot was along a stretch of Cat Spring where there's this
space-station-looking structure out in the field (it looks like a big,
round, white platform with a cone-shaped thing sticking up out of the middle
of it; you can't miss it). I was doing a "scheduled stop" and enjoying a
Bobwhite that had jumped up from this mess of sticks along with a bunch of
Whiteyes, but then I heard some caterwauling in the distance that sounded
vaguely familiar but couldn't place. Then it dawned on me - that was the
Prairie Chicken! So I started scanning, found a big brown body, and got the
scope out, and thanked Pat Heirs several times over for giving me her old
scope with the zoom on it: there he was, flipping his little tail to show
off the white butt, and puffing out those orange balloons! Couldn't hear
him actually booming from where I was, but you could really hear the
cackling once he got going! I only saw the one bird, and it was easy for
him to hide in the grass, so there could have been others. A Harrier sent
everyone into hiding (except for the Uppy Sands that made a break for it).
And as icing on the cake, one last pish brought up a Swamp Sparrow!

Everything was gravy after that, but other interesting birds along that part
of the route included a small flock of Shovelers flying overhead, several
Swainson's Hawks joining the TVs in their kettle, and some kind of towhee -
apparently both can show up even this far east, so who knows which it was.
Once on FM 3013 I was really wondering if doing the prescribed stops along
there would be worth it because of the traffic, but I'm very glad I did, as
in a plowed field about a mile east of McDonald Road was a pair of Sandhill
Cranes! One of them looked like it had a hurt wing, so my guess is that it
was a mated pair, and the "well" one decided to hang tight with his mate -
how sweet! J

The last part of the route was the tour road at the refuge, and by that time
it was getting rather warm (even though Diggory's thermometer still said
59), so things were quieting down at bit. At one stop I didn't even notice
the young Swainson's Hawk on the post until after I had done my two-minute
look and listen - I'm surprised he stayed put when I got out of the car! An
adult White-tailed joined the Swainies that were hanging around there, so
that was very nice! Some Purple Martins were making a lot of interesting
noises at their house near the headquarters, and as I turned the corner and
continued down the tour road, I was almost sideswiped by a refuge truck with
a big antenna on top who was coming off a side road! When she stopped to
open the gate I asked her if she was tracking chickens, and she said yes, so
I told her about the bird I saw that was nowhere near the refuge, but she
said they did occasionally get out into that area. As a matter of fact, I
noticed that same "space ship" structure from the tour road (way in the
distance, of course)!

Decided to check the overlook at the little pond there, and got the route's
only Carolina Chickadee in the little riparian woodland there. The pond had
a pair of Pied-billed Grebes, a few Coots, a single Common Gallinule, and a
Catbird calling across the way, but that was it (besides a posing Cardinal).
Finished up the route adding a mess of vultures, grabbed a piece of chicken
for lunch, then headed for Huntsville.

And what a beautiful park (and drive to get there)! I love the big trees;
it's amazing how things change in only 100 miles! Now we're in a whole new
habitat, with Tufted Titmice, Brown-headed Nuthatches, Downy Woodpeckers,
and Hooded Warblers added to the list right away! That longing to get a
camper and just live at the state parks for the rest of my life came back to
haunt me J; didn't have time to check the water, but an Eastern Kingbird was
perched on one of the reedy things near the shore. After scouting the
roads, I went back and hiked a couple of trails: the Loblolly Trail was a
nice easy nature trail with a bench halfway through, so that made it handy
to watch the White-eyed Vireos fighting! I took a little of the Dogwood
Trail, where there were several downed logs at the ten-minute mark that made
for a handy bench! I heard some cah-haing that I thought might have been
Fish Crows, but as I listened, the calls became more passionate, and then it
was obvious they were juvenile American Crows that were begging (and a quick
perusal of the TOS Handbook show that they don't occur here anyway; boy,
that book is a must have, I tell you)! Both Carolina and Viola's Wood
Satyrs were bouncing along the trail, along with what I'm assuming is a
Northern Cloudywing at this point.

Called it a day after that with 62 species for the day. Bird List:

Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Greater Prairie-Chicken Tympanuchus cupido

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Sandhill Crane Grus canadensis

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Upland Sandpiper Bartramia longicauda

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Red-bellied Woodpecker Melanerpes carolinus

Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Yellow-throated Vireo Vireo flavifrons

Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus

Blue Jay Cyanocitta cristata

American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos

Purple Martin Progne subis

Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota

Carolina Chickadee Poecile carolinensis

Tufted Titmouse Baeolophus bicolor

Brown-headed Nuthatch Sitta pusilla

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Sedge Wren Cistothorus platensis

Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Hooded Warbler Setophaga citrina

Northern Parula Setophaga americana

Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

Grasshopper Sparrow Ammodramus savannarum

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Swamp Sparrow Melospiza georgiana

White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Common Grackle Quiscalus quiscula

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

House Sparrow Passer domesticus

62 SPECIES

So Far: 152 SPECIES