[texbirds] Attwater NWR Vicinity - Lapland Longspurs and Ferruginous Hawk

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 21:15:46 -0600

Good evening,
Spent the day birding with Dennis Shepler and Rachel Wrenn in the vicinity
of Attwater NWR for the CBC. We were responsible for area 5 which is mostly
off the refuge just to the south. Great day of birding with the best birds
in our section being:

Lapland Longspur: a large flock of approximately 295 feeding in the fields
between Beal and Spalinger Roads just north of 1093. This is in the same
general area that I located last years flock. A scope is needed for good
views but calling and flying birds are pretty easy to find with a little
patience.

Ferruginous Hawk: one individual hanging around the northern half or so of
Spalinger Road.

Also noteworthy is the large number of shorebirds and raptors in the area.
Complete list in ebird can be found here:

Good birding,

John Tharp
Norman, OK