[texbirds] Re: Ash-throated Flycatcher & Western Kingbird at King Ranch - Monday 12/08/14

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TLangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:18:19 -0600

Tom/Texbirds,
 The Western Kingbird Dec. influx is a regular thing (in small numbers).
Western Kingbirds depart pretty early, by August at least, and are rarely
seen thereafter until late Nov.-early Dec., then there is a rash of
sightings all along the coast. There is a very small wintering population
in the Mississippi delta and in south Florida. I'm not sure about the
arrival schedule of the latter but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't
consist of these late migrants (from where?).
 jca

 John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory