[texbirds] Re: Article on Solitary Vireo complex

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Matt Heindel <mtheindel@xxxxxxx>, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 10:37:19 -0500

Matt:
Thanks for your updated thoughts about the Solitary Vireo complex. In NE
Texas, I get occasional claims of Cassin's Vireo (CAVI), but I am never
confident that dull Blue-headed Vireo (BHVI) can be reliably excluded. In
looking for your article, I found Don Roberson's comments on separating
these two species (http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/sovi-id-comm.html).
He says that the dark loral line is the same dark gray shade as the head in
BHVI, but is noticeably darker than the paler gray head of CAVI. Don says
that you didn't think much of this field mark at the time you wrote the
article, and I wonder if you still feel this way, or if your opinion has
changed. Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter

Peter Barnes
Tyler