[texbirds] Aplomado Falcon, Brazoria NWR

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jennifer Wilson" <jennifer_wilson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:13:44 -0600

All,

 About 10 days ago we (GCBO) received a report of a possible Aplomado
Falcon at Brazoria NWR along CR 227. Ron Weeks checked it out but didn't
find the bird. Then Sunday there was an ebird report of one so Ron checked
the area again multiple times but still didn't find it. This afternoon was
the first chance I had to go out there and look and I found the bird
perched in a tree along CR 227 1.2 miles northeast of the bridge over
Bastrop Bayou. While waiting for Ron to get there, the bird flew out into
the field to the south of CR 227 and landed on a white t-post. Had the bird
been out there when I passed by I would never have seen it and I suspect I
just got very lucky that it happened to be perched in the tree when I drove
by. The tree is the location described by the other two people who saw it.
The bird made several foraging bouts from the t-post and returned to it
each time so I suspect that is one of its favored perches. The t-post is
best viewed from a refuge pull out 1.5 miles northeast of the Bastrop Bayou
bridge. If it's out in the field you will need a scope to see it. I did
find it with my binoculars but that was only because I knew it had flown
out there. It's a really pretty bird!

 You can also reach this area from the other direction by taking CR 227
from FM 2004. You will need to follow CR 227 around both 90 degree turns.
Ron measured the distance from that direction so check his e-bird report if
you are coming from that way. Note there is a Great Horned Owl on a nest
along the stretch of CR 227 between the two 90 degree turns.

 Sue

 Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm