[texbirds] Answers from yesterday's ID request

  • From: paul sellin <pjsellin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 06:49:56 -0700 (PDT)

Thank all of you who have responded to my ID request.  Most respondents
concluded Hutton's Vireo.
Sibley's does write about the Mexican race of Hutton's: "10% larger and are
grayer with more distinct whitish eye-ring and wing-bars...."

Although Images 8680 and 8682 are only five seconds apart and probably the same
bird (there weren't a whole lot of birds up there that day, nor two weeks later
when I dipped on the Flame-colored Tanager on 14-May), I did more research
about Image 8680.  I originally thought Black-crested Titmouse, which were
fairly common in the lower elevations.  But the broken spectacles (dark area
between the eyes) dissuaded that conclusion.  But after your replies, I read in
Sibley's that there can be intergrades between the Mexican Black-crested and
Northern Tufted, so I guess it is possible to have a Titmouse with dark
forehead and a dark crown like shown in Image 8680.

I will change the labels in Flickr and delete all but a couple of the photos
within a few days.

Again, thank you for your timely and thoughtful analyses.

Paul Sellin
SW Houston