[texbirds] Another death in the family: Tom Roberts

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <satxbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 12:40:34 -0500

Birders:

This is to let you know about Tom Roberts.  On Monday, while doing cleanup
on our most recent scoring project,  one of my bosses tapped me on the
shoulder.  The news was that Tom Roberts had died last week due to early
onset Alzheimer's.  My boss said that Tom started showing symptoms about
five years ago before passing away at 58 or 59.  Tom birded in Texas, and
most especially the San Antonio area, in the 1980s.  Back then Tom was
working at Brooks Air Force base.  If memory serves me correctly, Tom
specialty was high energy fields and people.  In addition to Tom's birding,
he and his wife, Clare, were dog people.  When Brooks Air Force job ended,
it seems like Tom and Clare moved to the Boston area.  At the moment I don't
have any more details other than Tom having left positive memories in San
Antonio's birding community .

Steve

Stevan Hawkins

San Antonio TX