[texbirds] Anahuac swans

  • From: Vicki Crutchfield <vicki_crutchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 20:14:57 -0800 (PST)

Spent the afternoon with the swans.

Was told there was one subadult and an adult.

Just as the last person was leaving around 2:30 ish, another juvenile popped
its head up out of the grass. Three swans in my viewfinder.

One thing bothered me, the wind was keeping the visual from being very good,
but the shape of the bill was too wide for a Tundra, and the Tundra bill should
be a bit slopped and the head a bit more rounded.

These birds had a large traingular shaped bill and the forehead angled into the
bill. More like a Trumpeter.

Never could get a good enough visual to say no yellow, but the skin appeared
dark.

Tried to a get a different view from the boardwalk, and watched as 2 apparent
adults swam out from the high grass. View was not better, so still could not
verify no yellow, but, the bills were visibly large, wide and triangular.

So there are at least two adults, and two sub-adults, one slightly lighter in
color perhaps some difference in age, there other is darker grey.  They seemed
to be coming out of the high grass where they were sleeping, so may have been
more.

Wouldn't it be wild if there are both species out there?  But everything I saw
appeared to be Trumpeters.

Would sure love to see some good pictures of profiles. But that wind probably
made that difficult.

Vicki Crutchfield
Live Houston (Harris County)
and work in Galveston, (Galveston County)

Cell : 409-789-1178