[texbirds] Anahuac & points south of Baytown Jan. 10

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:50:58 -0800

I went here to Anahuac NWR hoping to find Say's Phoebe, Cinnamon Teal and
Purple Gallinule. Struck out on all three. Even the Vermillion Flycatcher by
the visitor center wasn't around today. But I had an amazing rail day--King,
Virginia and Sora. Perhaps they like these cloudy days. First two passes around
the auto loop didn't have the same birds as the third, when white fronted geese
settled in and a flock of Canvasbacks arrived. Saw about four or five immature
Bald Eagles.
There were a few immature pelicans that I think are dying, barely flying and I
found one dead. It has been happening up and down the coast to have dead
pelicans possibly due to not finding food. The fish are lurking deeper during
cold spells.  Last week found five dead at Texas City Dike when none were dead
there during Christmas week.

About a half dozen tree swallows at mid day. At this time, the common
yellowthroats all decided to come out. Also got Marsh Wren. Biggest surprise
was a Northern Parula in the reeds. This is the earliest I've ever seen Parula
anywhere.

The bay had about 500, at least, Red breasted Mergansers with a flock of
Bonaparte's Gulls. A few Buffleheads, too.

Also went to Cedar Road south of Baytown for the Western Grebe about 7:30 AM
and it was quite close, easy with binoculars. It likes to preen near a white
floatee or buoy. At a small pond on the way to Thompson's Bait Camp, a Hooded
Merganser seen. Gulls were all far out or just of the normal variety. No
rarities seen. I had a possible Thayer's last week. Ash Lake was practically
empty of gulls.

Carolyn Dill
Houston