[texbirds] Anahuac Sunday..Osprey and Goldeneye

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:39:41 -0600

Hi texbirders,

What a difference a day makes! The huge Snow Goose flock wasn't
beside the 2nd leg around Shoveler Pond. There were a couple of
eagles hanging around however, and several dead geese were seen.
Perhaps they were injured from hunters and then died. They will
provide several good meals. There were also 4 eagles over the marsh
on Frozen point Road, harassing all the ducks.

I tried to get a photo of the Lesser Scaup wing pattern. It isn't a
great photo, but does show the white only extends 1/2 way along the
wing.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158595736
In the Greater, it extends almost to the wing tip. If I ever see one,
I will try for a comparison photo.

The Osprey continues at Shoveler Pond. He likes perching on the
various road signs and I saw him on 3 different signs today. The last
was the "Do Not Enter" sign at the beginning of the loop.
He is very tame and if you approach slowly, you can get within 20-25
feet from him.... Notice the fish scales on the post under him. He
must like this one to eat
off....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158595737

In an upright position, he has a very bushy crest which isn't shown
in Sibley's ....  http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158595738

I watched him preening..   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158595740

And a final unusual view looking straight backwards at
me....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158595742

I relocated the Common Goldeneye and was able to get a photo
today.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158595744

Good birding and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

David McDonald
Friendswood TX