[texbirds] Anahuac & Lafitte's Cove (longish)

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:28:49 -0500

Hi, all!

Headed out pre-dawn and made it to Anahuac with five minutes to spare before
sunrise! While listening to the morning chorus, I was surprised to see
three Great-tailed Grackles facing off and doing that famous electronic
whisper song they do in the Valley, as they're considered rare here! (Too
bad I wasn't fast enough with the recorder.) But what was also interesting
was a Boat-tailed Grackle that came sailing in, doing vocalization types
that seemed a combination of the two species! While that was going on
several Nighthawks were beenting and booming overhead, and a Brown Thrasher
sang while a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher chattered. There were lots of
Brown-headed Cowbirds around, but a Bronzed was doing his Darth Vader
imitation.

Was anxious to "BBS" the place, so headed onto Shoveler Pond first, and like
yesterday, I was the only one on the drive for the longest time! The
prescribed pullouts worked well, and the morning chorus was a delight, with
Redwings and grackles, both kinds of gallinules, and even a Least Bittern!
At the Willow Trailhead (would hike that later), a Swainson's Hawk sat
pretty, and several rails sounded off along the route, but after Joe's
comment about hybrids, I really have no idea what I was hearing - I
suspected the accelerating ones were Clappers, and I could pick out the
deeper double notes that are typical of Kings, but to play it safe I
reported them all as King/Clapper in EBird. I wasn't as cautious with the
ibis, however; what ones I could see close were definitely White-faced, but
so many were distant that I just assumed White-faced unless proven
otherwise. Orchard Orioles and Eastern Kingbirds were all over, along with
Savannah Sparrows, and the Purple Gallinules were showing nicely as well - I
even got a movie of one that was in the sun!

The little boardwalk into the marsh had a couple of Barn Swallows on the
railing that were really cute, and both flavors of whistling ducks were
there as well. On the way out I had very mixed feelings about the Marsh
Wren that decided to show and pose for pictures, as I know how badly my
friend Mary Jane wants to see one! L A dragonfly flew in and landed that
looked interesting but later decided it was a female Band-winged Dragonlet,
but unfortunately I was too engrossed in shooting the thing to get a
recording of the Alligator growling behind me! J

The stops that overlooked the grasslands yielded hundreds of Tree Swallows
swooping around! On the road to the boat ramp, they were actually landing
on the road and preening before all moving to the bushes along the side of
the road! At one stop a Semipalmated Plover flew over, and at the dike
where we had the Caspian Terns yesterday were several Cattle Egrets and a
handful of Roseate Spoonbills. Heading on the aforementioned boat ramp
road, the first stop was a doozey: besides the (what would be ubiquitous)
Sedge Wrens and Seaside Sparrows, in the distance came the distinctive
dippy-do! of a Black Rail! I was so jazzed! Further down an Eastern Willet
posed on a post and then started to sing when a rival sang in the distance;
Joe pointed out that the Easterns have a pink base to the bill, and while
the ones yesterday left me scratching my head, this one really showed the
pink! An Osprey flew overhead, and at the end of the road a Black-bellied
Plover flushed. But the best bird was what I thought was a female Redwing
at first, but it turned out to be a hiding Seaside Sparrow who eventually
gave great views!

Returning to the main drag and then heading down the bay drive, a Swamp
Sparrow popped up at one stop, and those Dickcissels with the different
dialects were at it again! At another stop I couldn't believe it: yet
another Black Rail was calling! He had quit by the time this guy from
Colorado wheeled up, but he went on ahead a little in hopes of hearing it,
as that would be a life bird for him! I continued on and checked the
parking areas, where a Whimbrel posed at one. The guy from Colorado pulled
up and reported no luck on hearing the rail, but said he'd come back in the
morning. I went on ahead, and almost fainted: at another stop about a half
mile down from where we were yet another Black Rail was calling (but this
one was really distant)! On the way out I passed the guy and told him about
it, and he nearly passed out! He asked about Seaside Sparrows and nearly
fainted again when I told him they were all over, but I advised him that
they sounded like asthmatic Redwings, so they're easy to overlook if you
don't know what to listen for! So I hope he finds them!

He had told me about some Hudwits at the boat ramp near the visitor's
center, so I headed back there and checked it out; all I could find were
dowitchers and stilts, plus some unidentifiable stuff in the sun, so I
headed over to the Willow Trail to check that out. Right as I stepped out,
one of the nighthawks had taken up a branch to snooze on! It was pretty
quiet migrant-wise, but the mosquitoes were horrible; most interesting thing
was a Blue-headed Vireo, but also had some White-crowned Sparrows and a
female hummingbird.

Decided to head on in to Galveston after that, and Joe was right: it's a
long way to Bolivar flats! I enjoyed watching a lady feed the gulls on the
ferry, and once off I thought I'd check out this Corp Woods area. Another
lady I ran into said it was kinda quiet except for some Indigo Buntings, and
she was right, but I did manage to pick up a pretty Yellow Warbler and a
Wood Thrush that was singing tentatively, as well as a chickadee for the
day! An empid popped up that I couldn't ID while looking at it, but looking
at the pictures, I'm leaning towards Least, as it had a pretty bold eyering,
a shortish tail, and not much of a primary projection.

With what time I had left, I decided to head straight for Lafitte's Cove
(after getting thoroughly lost; the guy at the BW admitted it's easy to do),
and that proved to be pretty productive! On the way there spooked a
Yellow-crowned Night Heron, and along the boardwalk trail were these
obnoxious-sounding toads that I suspect are Narrow-mouthed (after going
through all those frog calls trying to figure out what I had at Huntsville)!
A Summer Tanager blasted in and bullied a Mockingbird (!), and at the drip
was a crowd of people, a few with Big Guns, but plenty of room on the
benches, so I wiggled in and waited for the show. As the guys were talking
it became apparent that one of them was Greg Lavaty! He evidently guides
people and was very good at helping others (including me) get on some of the
birds that came in! At first about the only thing to show an interest in
the drip was a female Tennessee Warbler (with all the flashes going off you
woulda thought it was a Golden-winged or something, but when it's the only
game in town.), but a Painted Bunting sat in the shadows for awhile, and
then the male Canada Warbler came in, which caused a lot of excitement! A
lovely Magnolia and a Black-throated Green also came in, but alas, I had to
get going (supposedly a storm was coming in, but what looked nasty in the
distance must have fizzled out), picking up yet another tentatively singing
Wood Thrush (the Swainson's was a little more robust.)!

Found the Best Western, got some ice and snacks, and retired to catch up!
Almost broke 100 today, and actually, if I count that Least Flycatcher, that
would make it 100 even!

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Least Bittern Ixobrychus exilis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Green Heron Butorides virescens

Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron Nyctanassa violacea

White Ibis Eudocimus albus

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus

Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni

Black Rail Laterallus jamaicensis

Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris

King Rail Rallus elegans

Sora Porzana carolina

Purple Gallinule Porphyrio martinicus

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola

Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus

Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Herring Gull

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Gull-billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon

Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Blue-headed Vireo Vireo solitarius

Blue Jay Cyanocitta cristata

Purple Martin Progne subis

Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Carolina Chickadee Poecile carolinensis

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Sedge Wren Cistothorus platensis

Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris

Swainson's Thrush Catharus ustulatus

Wood Thrush Hylocichla mustelina

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Brown Thrasher Toxostoma rufum

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Tennessee Warbler Oreothlypis peregrina

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Magnolia Warbler Setophaga magnolia

Yellow Warbler Setophaga petechia

Black-throated Green Warbler Setophaga virens

Canada Warbler Cardellina Canadensis

Yellow-breasted Chat

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

Seaside Sparrow Ammodramus maritimus

Swamp Sparrow Melospiza georgiana

White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Common Grackle Quiscalus quiscula

Boat-tailed Grackle Quiscalus major

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius

House Sparrow Passer domesticus