[texbirds] Anahuac - 2 Krider's and an unusual Ruddy Duck

  • From: David McDonald <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 21:07:47 -0600

Hi Texbirdes,

I saw Joe Kennedy's wonderful photos from Anahuac NWR earlier this
week and wanted to try to find the krider's red-tailed hawk he had
photographed. I don't think I have even seen this color morph let
alone photographed it.

I went yesterday afternoon and photographed this guy down by the bay
on the mail road. It was quite tame as he said and the head has a lot
of brown, so I think it is the same bird.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153932630

I went back this afternoon and found this extremely pale bird along
1985 about midway between the main entrance and the Skillern Tract.

Here's a couple of photos, and you can see there is almost no brown
on the head at all.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153932631

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153932632

In Shoveler Pond, there were about a dozen female plumaged Ruddy
Ducks. I didn't see any males.

These 2 were together ... the first a typical female.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153932633

But this one has a lot of color on the face and chest. I though it
must a basic plumaged male, but they have a plain white cheek, no stripe.

So I was wondering if perhaps it could be a hybrid with a Cinnamon
Teal??? The head is mahogany brown rather than black, and the barring
on the flanks and back looks different than the female.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153932634

Any thoughts on this duck??? thanks.

David McDonald
Friendswood TX