[texbirds] An odd milestone/musings from Lubbock County

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 13:24:28 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I have lived in land-locked, high-and-dry, allegedly birdless Lubbock County
for a smidge over fifteen years and have birded the county in about as
dedicated fashion as I could manage, given other commitments.  I was quite
excited to add Surf Scoter to my county list on Sunday (credit where credit is
due - the bird was located by Jennifer Miller) and, after checking the past few
years worth of notes over very carefully, realized it was my 380th County Bird!
 It is possible that I will be kicking around long enough to get my county list
up to 400 but, at this point, every ten added seem quite worthy of celebration.
 It was also nice to have my 380th bird serve as a reminder of all the misty,
moisty days I spent birding the Oregon coast back when I was a humble farm boy
from the Pacific Northwest.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock