[texbirds] American Woodcock and Black Phoebe in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 18:50:26 -0600

Greetings All:
Ross Rickett located a Black Phoebe at Clapp Park this afternoon. I headed
out immediately. The first bird I saw at the park was a Ruby-crowned
Kinglet. The second was an American Woodcock flushed from the leaf-covered
margin between the wooded berm and the main playa. The third bird was a
Song Sparrow. The fourth bird I saw was a gorgeous Black Phoebe,
alternating between the power lines over the northeast playa, willows along
the eastern edge of the playa, and the water drainage structure in the
playa.

This is some high-yield birding, even by this site's high standards.

Other highlight included 2 Wilson's Snipes, 1 Hermit Thrush, 1 Common
Yellowthroat, and 1 Swamp Sparrow. I was not able to relocate the American
Bittern that has been reported from the site recently.

The American Woodcock, Black Phoebe, and Eastern Meadowlark were new for my
2015 list at this site, bringing me up to 179 species of bird at Clapp Park
in 2015.

Thanks, Ross:)

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock