[texbirds] American Redstart in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:49:45 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I led a field trip to Clapp Park in Lubbock, from 6:30 to 8:00 this evening,
and while birding was fairly slow (the heat was hot, the birds were not) I was
startled to stumble upon an absolutely brilliant male AMERICAN REDSTART in the
willow tangle at the west end of the dike.  This species is casual in our
region during June and has a history of popping up in heavily wooded, riparian
areas during the month ... though there is, so far as I know, no evidence of
territory holding or attempted breeding.  This particular bird sang once during
a half hour period - a somewhat muted version of typical AMRE song - and I
heard call notes on two occasions during the same period.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock