[texbirds] American Bitterns on Laureles Div. of King Ranch - Nueces Co.

  • From: Tom Langschied <TLangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:04:01 +0000

TexBirders,
This morning while doing a bird survey on the Laureles Div. of King Ranch I
heard an American Bittern calling vigorously at two different survey points in
the northeastern corner of the Laureles Div., both of which were in Nueces
county. This area is dominated by the Laguna Larga which is very full after
the recent rains thus creating a huge emergent wetland. Laguna Larga when
holding water straddles the Nueces/Kleberg County line and most of it is in
Kleberg County. The portions I visit along my survey route both today and last
month have become quite a sight with a variety and abundance of water birds
that are utilizing the wetland complex. Given Willie Sekula's recent post
(June 15) about an American Bittern sighting on June 13 at Padre Island Nat'l
Seashore in Kleberg County, there may be interesting summer happenings with
this species in coastal South Texas.

It was certainly a special treat to hear this species calling as I've only
heard it very irregularly in my life and that was primarily much further north
in the Midwest area of the U.S.

Tom Langschied
Kingsville, TX

[cid:KingRanchLogo.jpg]

This e-mail is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) to whom it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any
dissemination, duplication, or distribution of this email and any files
transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or
entity to which they are addressed. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or
distribution of this e-mail and its attachments is prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, destroy it immediately.

All emails sent from or to an addressee of King Ranch, Inc. or one of its
subsidiaries shall remain the property of King Ranch, Inc.

King Ranch and the Running W logo are both registered trademarks in the United
States.