[texbirds] Re: Amazing November to remember for Texas Birds

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Fred Collins <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 11:42:46 -0600

Fred is correct that not all these records have been accepted by the
Texas Bird Records Committee (TBRC).  In order for a sighting to be
accepted, there must first be observers willing and able to submit
details on what they saw/heard and perhaps photographed.  For the
blitz of exciting birds found in the state in the last 10 days, I can
count the number of submissions voluntarily sent into me so far on one
hand.  I realize folks have probably had a busy holiday week and are
perhaps still recovering but there is no time like the present to
recall/write down the details & experiences that certainly fade over
time.  Assuming that documentation is a task for someone else since
"everybody saw that one" is a common thought but I think you can see
what might happen (and often does) if everyone thinks the same way.

For many of these species, a photo is worth a 1000 words but it is
sometimes the written word(s) submitted with those photos that tell
the story.  With the recent Red-legged Honeycreeper, I have seen
photos that leave no doubt about the identity but there has been much
discussion about the provenance/origin question that folks like the
TBRC must render a judgement on.  For those of you that saw the bird
at Estero Llano Grande SP the past few days, it would be quite useful
to have your words as some of you might have careful
considered/watched/noted the bird's behavior and feather wear, etc as
you perhaps tried to answer this question for yourself.

Many of you may be nervous about submitting reports because you are
not really sure what to submit.  A good article on what rare bird
documentation is can be found at:

    http://greglasley.com/document.html

Sample rare bird report forms can be round here:

    http://texasbirds.org/tbrc/forms.htm

The TBRC does not require the form per-se but it gives you an idea of
the types of questions/details that are helpful for these kinds of
records.

Should you have any questions about this, feel free to send me a note
and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Reports, photos and recordings can all be sent to me at
<ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>.  I try to spend a fair amount of time digging
through eBird and the various (and numerous) online forums were these
sightings and photos are posted and discussed but don't always find
all the significant details that way.  I would be thankful for each of
you who are able to take the time to send details to me rather than
hoping I happen upon them in my searching.

On behalf of the TBRC, your efforts to help document some of these
incredible rarities to make them more than just great memories is
truly appreciated!

--Eric

--
Eric Carpenter