[texbirds] Albino Ladder-backed Woodpecker at South Llano River SP, Junction

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 17:30:02 -0500

Yesterday, 5/11, while walking near the Lora's Bird Blind at the South Llano
River State Park in Junction I observed a flash of white. I had my binoculars
but no camera. Not 15' away was an albino Ladder-backed Woodpecker. The bird
was in the company of an adult bird that seemed to be escorting the white
woodpecker through the brush as they foraged. I was fairly astounded to see an
all-white woodpecker, to say the least. Today, I went to the Lora's Blind
around 11:30 as that is the time I observed the bird yesterday. At noon I
observed 2 adults in a very tall dead tree above and to the right of the water
feature. Shortly, the white woodpecker flew in to join the two adults. I had at
most a 3 second view and they departed. My friend Coach Mick Casaday, with a
much better camera than mine, went out to the blind at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon
to put up suet feeders. While there he photographed the bird. The one enclosed
is blurry (shooting thru limbs and stuff) but it is the best we have so far.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hl9Pm7vuLilmdFyHKDZZ7PzpTAOFQpm5bN_dg5dhhgc?feat=directlink

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.