[texbirds] Re: African Collared-Dove (formerly Ringed Turtle-Dove) in Gatesville

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:05:39 +0000

It is my understanding that the "Ringed Turtle Dove" is a domestic species of
uncertain origin but derived from several ringed doves including the African
Ringed-Neck Dove as well as others.  When Jack catches up with his e-mail he
may be more definitive about this. Ringed Turtle Doves were well established in
SW Houston, Los Angeles, many places in Florida and lesser populations in many
cities throughout the world. They are still popular  cage birds and still
inexpensive. They are the white wedding dove frequently released for such
festivities. I believe that all of the feral populations, certainly the ones in
Texas have all been genetically swamped by Eurasian Collared Doves. I
personally think that there are no more feral populations of Ringed Turtle
Doves in Texas.  I have always attributed the birds like the one that Shirley
posted to be a result of some of the Ringed Turtle Dove genes mixing with more
or less pure Eurasian Collared Doves. Likewise, some recently released "wedding
doves" may continue to contribute to the gene pool.

This opinion and $4.00 may buy you a cup of coffee.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park