[texbirds] Aechmo Grebe

  • From: dennis shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:45:34 -0600

Howdy Texbirders,
I saw the grebe this morning around 9:30.  One bird of that genus was
located to the right of Marker 19 and to the left of the red and white
smoke stack.  When using your scope, walk to the end of the pier and direct
your scope on the far shore a little to the left of where the pier is
pointing...you'll be looking to the left of Fred Hartman Bridge.  You
should be able to locate it.  There are both Horned and Eared Grebes closer
to the pier.  Hundreds of Red-breasted Mergansers are feeding in the
distance.  Also, plenty of Lesser Scaup, and some Bufflehead can be seen.
 Very nice morning with excellent light and the wind slacked off for a
while.
Yesterday, had a great coastal trip with many good birds but my favorite
was a very vocal King Rail at San Bernard Refugio.  I did not see the
Rough-legged Hawk but I only looked for a few minutes.
Good birding,
Dennis
in West Houston
Harris County