[texbirds] Addendum re. Southeastern Kleberg County: A rewarding day of birding

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 16:26:23 -0500

We, through an oversight, failed to mention one of our favorite sightings
of yesterday (04/08/15), which occurred at the CR-2240 site mentioned near
the end of our earlier communication. This sighting was of a MERLIN (1)
sitting atop a short, very stout, pole at the eastern edge of a field on
the north side of the road. It sat there directly facing us (inside our
vehicle) for perhaps a couple of minutes. Then it took flight, veered
eastward and dashed toward some vegetation nor far from where it had been
sitting. It appeared to grab some food item from atop that vegetation, and
then it headed northward and out of sight. We all very much enjoyed this
exciting raptor, despite wishing it had stayed long enough to have its
photo made. It had been some time since we had seen a Merlin, and this was
a nice surprise!
Rex and Birgit Stanford
Weslaco, TX